Small Business Insurance California (Quotes, Cost & Coverage)
Call to start your quote:
Frequently Asked Questions About
Commercial General Liability Insurance
How much does commercial insurance cost?
Costs can vary widely based on industry and are also determined by zip code and often payroll and/or gross sales. Request a free quote to get an exact number.
What kind of business insurance do I need?
Most business owners need General Liability Insurance at the very least. If you have any non-owner employees, you will need workers compensation insurance too.
What is a Certificate of Insurance?
A Certificate of Insurance is proof of coverage. It lists the type and amount of liability coverage you have and other policy information when a third party requests it.
Is business insurance tax deductible?
Yes. you can deduct the cost of commercial insurance premiums. The IRS considers insurance a cost of doing business as long it benefits the business & serves a business purpose.
Small Business Insurance California
Small Business Insurance California. A small business, as defined by the Small Business Administration, is one with 500 or fewer employees. As of 2016, there are 27 million or more small businesses in operation within the U.S., ranging from sole-proprietorships owned by the self-employed to construction firms, small stores, beauty salons, and even community banks. Regardless of their volume of business, all small businesses share a common thread - the need for obtaining proper small business insurance to protect their businesses from all angles.
Small business owners in CA can work request a quote to find the right small business insurance California policies for their businesses. From rate and policy comparison to finding the exact coverage that meets a specific business need, we can help you find policies for the your CA business needs. Small business insurance California protects your investment by minimizing financial risks associated with unexpected events such as a death of a partner, an injured employee, a lawsuit, or a natural disaster.
Small business insurance California protects your business from lawsuits with rates as low as $29/mo. Get a fast quote and your certificate of insurance now.
Statistics On Small Businesses In The United States
- The U.S. is home to more than 27 million small businesses
- Single proprietors own more than 70 percent of all U.S. small businesses
- 57 percent of the U.S. workforce, or 77 million people, work in small businesses across the country
- Around 7 out of 10 small businesses are still operating two years after opening
- Roughly 5 out of 10 small businesses are still operating five years after opening
- Home-based small businesses account for 54 percent of all small businesses
Filling Insurance Needs For Owners Of CA Small Businesses
The smallest home businesses that have no employees are not subject to governmental requirements for purchasing insurance. Nonetheless, businesses with employees, even small businesses need certain types of insurance - some to remain compliant with government requirements and others that protect the business owner in the event of work-related accidents, illnesses, ideuries, or even death. Companies with employees may need:
Worker's comp policies for CA small businesses. This type of small insurance California may be available through the worker's compensation insurance program in CA or through a commercial agent selling small business policies. The requirements for worker's compensation insurance are specific to California, making it important that small businesses consult with an insurance pro for CA requirements to ensure their compliance.
Unemployment insurance for CA small businesses. Unemployment insurance is paid for using UI taxes collected by each individual state. After a business establishes itself and registers with the California Department of Labor, the business owner begins paying UI taxes and is covered in the event of layoffs and other related unemployment issues.
Disability insurance policies for small CA businesses. The purchase of disability insurance by small business owners can be a valuable type of insurance for small businesses looking to build up their employee benefits packages.
Group medical coverage for CA small businesses. Small businesses with more than 50 employees may be required to purchase group health insurance for their employees under the Affordable Care Act. Even if you have no employees, you should consider coverage under a small business insurance California policy for yourself and your family.
What Does Small Business Insurance California Do?
A type of optional insurance coverage, small business insurance California provides your business with the coverage it needs to maintain operations after a lawsuit or catastrophic event. Lawsuits can wreak devastation to your business model, as can extreme weather events, fires, and accidents.
As many as 50 percent of businesses that undergo a natural disaster such as a hurricane, tornado, fire, or major flooding fail within a five-year period. Businesses that fail to resume operating in the aftermath of disaster within a 10-day period tend to close within a month's time in 80 percent of instances. These CA businesses usually lack a solid insurance policy that helps the business to remain profitable and resume operations as soon as possible after setbacks due to covered perils.
Property Loss and Damage and Small Business Insurance CA
Small business insurance California needs vary widely, due to the vast numbers and types of small businesses in operation. Some considerations for the CA small business owner when purchasing small business insurance to protect against loss and damage:
- Home-based businesses with business materials and equipment worth less than $2,500 are often served best by the purchase of riders to cover such losses on their renters or homeowners policies. These riders are designed specifically for business property.
- Home-based businesses with materials and equipment valued greater than $2,500 put less than $10,000 should consider home business insurance policies.
- Home-based businesses with materials and equipment on the premises greater than $10,000 in value and businesses located outside the home generally require the more expansive protection afforded by small business insurance policies.
- Small business owners who also own the buildings in which their businesses operate should always purchase insurance in an adequate amount to cover the actual building structure and its contents. This ensures that any damage, theft, or loss is covered in times of peril.
- No matter which policy a CA business owner chooses, flood insurance is important, since most policies exclude flood damage altogether. The purchase of an individual flood insurance policy is essential for businesses of all sizes, particularly those that lie in flood-prone or flood zone areas.
Liability Protection with Small Business Insurance
An important component of any commercial business insurance policy CA is small business liability insurance. While the risk you need to protect your business from differs based on your industry, it is difficult to find a one-size-fits-all policy. Small business insurance California policies are customizable, so your agent can tailor the policy to fit your risk threshold and the assets you need to protect. Some CA small business liability insurance options are:
- General business liability insurance. The majority of liability claims lodged against businesses are covered by general business liability insurance. This includes payments made for property damage, slander and libel, and bodily injury. It also covers any legal fees and court costs for defending your business in such actions.
- Professional liability insurance. Sometimes referred to as "errors and omissions" insurance, this coverage protects your business from claims of liability that arise due to errors, negligence, and malpractice. In some locations, state law requires that businesses or even workers in certain fields carry this type of insurance. For example, people working in the medical niche must purchase professional liability insurance.
- Product liability insurance for small businesses. Companies that sell, distribute, or manufacture products often rely on product liability insurance to protect them in the even that a defective product associated with the company causes them to be sued due to injury or illness.
The amount and type of coverage needed by your business determines the rates. Insurers also look at the likelihood of a business facing liability suits when determining the rates charged.
Additional Coverage Options for Small Businesses
Customized small business insurance California plans are designed to fit your particular business model and may include other types of coverage that is uniquely necessary for your individual business. For example, your business may need:
- Insurance for loss of income. Loss-of-income insurance covers your CA business in the event that you must temporarily stop operated due to a covered peril. This type of coverage provides you with ongoing income during the work stoppage so that you can continue to cover wages to employees and other business expenditures.
- Fidelity insurance for small businesses. Fidelity insurance coverage protects your business from losses that result from an employee's illegal activities that affect your business. Two such examples of potentially covered actions include embezzlement or theft.
- Commercial vehicle insurance for small businesses. For California businesses that use vehicles for business purposes, commercial vehicle insurance is a must for protecting the business and covering risks while on the road. This is an important type of insurance for employees who drive company vehicles during the course of business.
Choosing the Best Policy for Small Business Needs
Finding the right policy for a small business is no easy task, since business vary as much as the policies available. According to the SBA, "You should discuss your specific business risks and the types of insurance available with your insurance agent or broker. Your agency can advise you on the exact types of insurance you should consider purchasing."
Request a free quote today to get help in assessing your business' risks and formulate the right policy for your specific needs and risks.
Our agents can help you get a small business insurance California quote online from several companies, which is instrumental in finding the right policy that meets your budget. We work with multiple companies and are not bound to sales for a particular company, making it easier to compare rates and options.
California Economic Data, Regulations & Limits On Commercial Insurance
If you are an entrepreneur and you considering having your operations located in California, it's essential that you have a full understanding about the economy of the state, as well as the regulations and limits that are in place for commercial insurance.
If you are considering opening up a business in the Lone Star State, you first want to make sure that it is a sound location for your operations. That means that you should understand some key information related to the state's economy, as well as the types of insurance coverages that businesses are legally required to carry.
Economic Trends For Businesses In California
In terms of job creation, the state of California exceeds rate of job growth in the United States; however, as the state's metropolitan areas are reaching employment capacity, job growth is starting to slow. In 2017, the rate of growth was 2.1 percent, which is the slowest rate of growth since 2011; but it is still expected to increase by 1.8 percent by the end of 2018, and 1.2 percent by the end of 2018.
In the month of April, the unemployment rate in California dropped to 4.2 percent, which is a record low. This unemployment rate is expected to remain consistent for the rest of the calendar year; however, it's forecasted that the rate will start to increase in 2018.
The strongest labor market in the state is in the Bay Area, where the unemployment rate was 3.4 percent in 2017. Southern California follows, with an unemployment rate of 4.5 percent in 2017. In the Central Coast region, the rate was 5.4 percent and in the Central Valley, it was 6.6 percent. While the unemployment rate is considered high in these areas, they have decreased dramatically over the last 12 month period.
The industries that are expected to see the most growth in CA include:
- Information Technology
CA Commercial Insurance Regulations And Limits
The California Department of Insurance regulates insurance in the Golden State. In the state of CA, commercial liability insurance is not required; however, since the state does not cap rewards for liability law suits, business owners are wise to invest in this type of coverage. The amount of coverage recommended varies depending on the size of the business and in the industry.
Workers' compensation insurance is the only type of coverage that business owners are required to have. This applies to any organization that employs a salaried or hourly staff, even if that staff only consists of one employee. Furthermore, if an employee is injured or becomes ill as a result of work, business owners must pay for CA workers' comp benefits.
Additional Resources For Small Business Insurance
Protect your company and employees with the right commercial insurance policies. Read informative articles on small business insurance coverages - and how they can help shield your company from legal liabilities.
- Business General Liability
- Business Liability
- Business Owners Policy (BOP)
- Certificate of Insurance
- Comprehensive General Liability
- Directors and Officers Liability
- Employers Liability
- Employment Practices Liability
- Home Based Business
- Independent Contractor
- Liability Insurance Certificate
- Liability Insurance
- Professional Liability
- Small Business
Your small business faces many potential disasters including: fire, floods, theft, equipment breakdown, lawsuits from clients or customers and current & former employees. Any many other risks you haven't even thought about.
A small business commercial insurance program should provide protection for both larger and smaller disasters. The obvious things like fire, flood and theft most business owners thnk about... but what if a hacker infects your computers with a virus - and files containing private customer information like credit card and Social Security numbers are stolen?
Who is going to pay to fix your customers credit rating etc.? Will your insurance pay for the cost? You need to know that.
Your commercial insurance program should cover events that can close down your company, or cause it to lose revenue. Anything less than that is not enough coverage. Commmercial insurance doesn't cover everything, and all policies have exclusions and limits.
You need a written plan that allows you to get your operations back up and running as quick as possible.
Request a free Small Business Insurance California quote in Alameda, Alhambra, Anaheim, Antioch, Apple Valley town, Bakersfield, Baldwin Park, Bellflower, Berkeley, Buena Park, Burbank, Camarillo, Carlsbad, Carson, Chico, Chino Hills, Chino, Chula Vista, Citrus Heights, Clovis, Compton, Concord, Corona, Costa Mesa, Daly City, Davis, Downey, El Cajon, El Monte, Elk Grove, Escondido, Fairfield, Folsom, Fontana, Fremont, Fresno, Fullerton, Garden Grove, Glendale, Hawthorne, Hayward, Hemet, Hesperia, Huntington Beach, Indio, Inglewood, Irvine, Lake Forest, Lakewood, Lancaster, Livermore, Long Beach, Los Angeles, Lynwood, Manteca, Menifee, Merced, Milpitas, Mission Viejo, Modesto, Moreno Valley, Mountain View, Murrieta, Napa, Newport Beach, Norwalk, Oakland, Oceanside, Ontario, Orange, Oxnard, Palmdale, Palo Alto, Pasadena, Perris, Pleasanton, Pomona, Rancho Cordova, Rancho Cucamonga, Redding, Redlands, Redondo Beach, Redwood City, Rialto, Richmond, Riverside, Roseville, Sacramento, Salinas, San Bernardino, San Buenaventura, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose, San Leandro, San Marcos, San Mateo, San Ramon, Santa Ana, Santa Barbara, Santa Clara, Santa Clarita, Santa Maria, Santa Monica, Santa Rosa, Simi Valley, South Gate, Stockton, Sunnyvale, Temecula, Thousand Oaks, Torrance, Tracy, Turlock, Tustin, Union City, Upland, Vacaville, Vallejo, Victorville, Visalia, Vista, Walnut Creek, West Covina, Westminster, Whittier, Yorba Linda, Yuba City and all other cities in CA - The Golden State.
Quotes from leading small business insurance carriers including: ACE, AmTrust, Chubb, Cincinnati, CNA, Colony, Employers, Evanston, Fireman's, Foremost, Guard, Hanover, Hiscox, Liberty Mutual, LLoyd's of London, Markel, MSA, Nationwide, Penn America, Philadelphia, Prime, Progressive, Scottsdale, The Hartford, Travelers, USLI, Utica First, Western World, Zurich & others.