Short-Term General Liability Insurance Policy Information
Short-Term General Liability Insurance. Short-term liability insurance is a type of insurance coverage that provides protection for a specific period of time, typically ranging from one day to one year.
It is often used to cover temporary or specific events, such as a trade show, a construction project, or a special event. Short-term liability insurance is designed to protect against potential claims for damages or injuries that may arise during the covered period.
Short-term general liability insurance is typically more affordable than long-term liability insurance and can be customized to fit the specific needs of the insured.
What's the difference between short-term and long-term commercial liability coverage? Which type do you need? Read on to find the answers to these questions and more.
Find short-term general liability insurance for when you need it - an hour, day, month or longer. Get a fast quote and your certificate of insurance now.
Below are some answers to commonly asked short-term general liability insurance questions:
- What Is Short-Term General Liability Insurance?
- How Much Does Short-Term General Liability Insurance Cost?
- Why Buy Short-Term Liability Coverage?
- Is Short-Term General Liability Insurance Right For You?
- What Types Of Businesses Can Get Short-Term General Liability Coverage?
- What Does Short-Term General Liability Insurance Cover & Pay For?
What Is Short-Term General Liability Insurance?
Short-term liability insurance is specifically designed to protect business owners from third-party property damage and personal injuries.
For instance, if a customer or vendor were to trip over a wire or slip on a puddle on your commercial property and suffer an injury, this type of coverage would cover the cost of any necessary medical care that they might require. Or, if an employee's mistake damaged a customer's property, general liability insurance would help to pay for any repairs. This insurance policy also assists with legal expenses that you may be responsible for if a third-party were to file a lawsuit against you.
There are two forms of commercial general liability coverage: long-term and short-term. As the name suggests, a long-term policy provides coverage for a full year.
While a short-term general liability insurance policy offers liability coverage for a limited amount of time; an hour, day or month.
How Much Does Short-Term General Liability Insurance Cost?
The average price for the required $1,000,000/$2,000,000 Short-Term General Liability policy for small businesses ranges from $5 to $27 based on what you do, where you work, how long you need coverage, and the size of your team.
Why Buy Short-Term Liability Coverage?
There are a few reasons why short-term general liability insurance may be a better option than a long-term policy; especially contractors. For instance, as a contractor, you'll likely need contractors insurance just to get your foot in the door and land a job - but what if you're only working for a few hours or days at a time?
Let's say you're a commercial power washer who only works during the summer months. Instead of purchasing a long-term policy, which usually covers an entire year, a short-term policy might be a better option.
Why opt for a short-term liability policy over long-term? Firstly, you'll likely pay a lot less, but should anything go wrong, you'll have the coverage you need. The same would be true if you're a wedding planner that really only works during peak wedding season, or you're a snowplow operator etc.
Is Short-Term General Liability Insurance Right For You?
While it's true that short-term general liability insurance may be a better option for some contractors, it might be the best option for everyone.
The primary benefit of a short-term policy is that you don't have to commit to a long-term policy when you only need coverage for a short amount of time, which could save you a substantial amount of money. However, it's important to keep in mind that you will have to purchase a new policy every time your short-term coverage expires, which can be complicated and time-consuming.
Additionally, while it could potentially save money, that isn't always the case. In fact, if you have to purchase several policies over the course of a year, short-term coverage may actually end up costing you more than a long-term policy. Depending on the specifics of your policy, the industry you work in, and your provider, the rates may be higher for a short-term policy.
What Types Of Businesses Can Get Short-Term General Liability Coverage?
So one of the leading providers of short-term liability insurance is Thimble. Here is an example of industries that can purchase short-term general liability by the hour, day, month or longer:
- Hair Stylists
- Nail Artists
- Salon Owners
- Spa Owners
Cleaners & Janitors Insurance
- Car / Boat / Vehicle Washing or Detailing
- Carpet Cleaners
- Janitorial Services
- Office Cleaners
- Pressure Washers
- Window Cleaners
Consultant & Freelancer Insurance
- AV Installation
- Business Consultants
- Car AV Installation
- Classroom Instruction
- Computer Programming
- Computer Repair
- Creative Directors
- Financial Consultants
- Graphic Designers
- House Sitting
- IT Consultants
- Interior Decorating
- Marketing Consultants
- Personal Shoppers
- Photography & Videography (No Drones)
- Sound Recordists
- Web Developers
Contractors & Handyman Insurance
- AV Installation
- Alarm Systems Installation & Repair
- Carpentry - Interior
- Carpet Cleaners
- Closet Installation
- Debris Removal
- Deck Building
- Fence Building
- Finish Carpentry
- Finishing Contractors
- Furniture Assembly (No Cribs or Bunk Beds)
- Furniture Installation - Office
- Furniture Refinishing
- Gutter Cleaning
- Interior Painting
- Invisible Fence Installation
- Office Furniture Installation
- Office Machine Installation and Repair
- Painting & Siding
- Piano Tuning
- Small Contractors (including Finishing Contractors)
- Smart Home Installation
- Surveillance System Installation & Maintenance
- Swimming Pool Servicing
- Window Decorating
Events & Entertainment Insurance
- Balloon Artists
- Belly Dancers
- Canoe & Kayak Guides
- Caricature Artists
- Celebrity Look-a-Likes
- Event Staff (Planners & Promoters as Individuals)
- Face Painters
- Fishing Guides
- Float Trip Guides
- Food / Catering (No Bartending)
- Hiking Guides
- Individual Event Participants (Not the Event Itself)
- Musical Conductors
- Nature and Wildlife Guides
- Stand Up Paddleboard (SUP) Guides
- Street Performers
- Tour Guides
- Aerobics Instructors
- Dance Instructors
- Fitness Instructors
- Golf Instructors
- Personal Trainers
- Spin Instructors
- Swim Instructors
- Tai Chi Instructors
- Yoga Instructors
- Lawn & Yard Maintenance
- Pesticide Application (Landscapers Only)
- Trimming or Pruning Trees Exclusively at Ground Level (No Removals)
- Pet Grooming
- Pet Sitting
- Pet Training
- Pet Walking
What Does Short-Term General Liability Insurance Cover & Pay For?
Short-Term General Liability Insurance provides coverage for a wide range of liability claims that may arise during the policy period. Here are a few examples of Short-Term General Liability Insurance claims:
- Slip and Fall Accidents: A customer slips and falls on your business premises and gets injured. Your Short-Term General Liability Insurance can help cover their medical expenses and other related costs.
- Property Damage: A customer’s property is damaged while on your premises, and they hold you responsible. Your Short-Term General Liability Insurance can help pay for the damages.
- Product Liability: A customer uses your product and suffers an injury or illness as a result. Your Short-Term General Liability Insurance can help pay for their medical expenses and related costs.
- Libel and Slander: A competitor claims that you made false and damaging statements about their business. Your Short-Term General Liability Insurance can help pay for the legal costs of defending against the claim.
- Copyright Infringement: A client claims that you have used their copyrighted material without permission. Your Short-Term General Liability Insurance can help pay for the legal costs of defending against the claim.
In each of these scenarios, Short-Term General Liability Insurance can help pay for the costs associated with a lawsuit, including legal fees, settlements, and judgments. However, it is important to note that the specific coverage and limits of your policy will vary depending on your insurer and policy terms.
Short-Term General Liability Insurance - The Bottom Line
While general liability coverage is needed by most businesses, whether you need a short-term or long-term policy depends on a number of factors. Mainly how long you need the insurance coverage for, and what type of industry your business is in.