Independent Contractor Insurance New York
Call to start your quote:
Frequently Asked Questions About
Commercial General Liability Insurance
How much does commercial insurance cost?
Costs can vary widely based on industry and are also determined by zip code and often payroll and/or gross sales. Request a free quote to get an exact number.
What kind of business insurance do I need?
Most business owners need General Liability Insurance at the very least. If you have any non-owner employees, you will need workers compensation insurance too.
What is a Certificate of Insurance?
A Certificate of Insurance is proof of coverage. It lists the type and amount of liability coverage you have and other policy information when a third party requests it.
Is business insurance tax deductible?
Yes. you can deduct the cost of commercial insurance premiums. The IRS considers insurance a cost of doing business as long it benefits the business & serves a business purpose.
Independent Contractor Insurance New York
Independent Contractor Insurance New York. Being an 1099 independent contractor can be liberating, but it is not without its own risks, just like a small business. If you work as an independent contractor in NY, you must protect yourself financially; the IRS views independent contractors as small business owners, and as a small business, there are inherent perils involved that can leave you liable and on the receiving end of lawsuit from a disgruntled client or injured customer.
Although the type of work that you do determines your exact risk level, having the right independent contractor insurance New York protection in place can prevent personal financial loss, impeding your success.
Independent contractor insurance New York protects your 1099 business from lawsuits with rates as low as $27/mo. Get a fast quote and your certificate of insurance now.
Types of Insurance for Independent Contractors
Whether your job entails entering data or offering digital marketing services, doing plumbing work, or providing carpentry work in a client's home, you face risks everyday as an 1099 independent contractors. There are several types of coverage that can help to mitigate those risks, and investing in this coverage is a good way to ensure your business stays healthy and productive.
Although a general liability policy is a good place to start for independent contractors, there are other types of independent contractor insurance New York you should consider, including:
- Errors and omissions coverage. Contractors often provide advice and consultation services. If this describes some of the services that you offer in your role as an interior designer, financial planner, landscape architect, accountant or other job, then you need to protect yourself from losses a client may experience as a result of your advice or recommendations. This insurance protects you from claims of errors and omissions.
- Bodily injury and property damage coverage. Protect your business from claims of bodily injury and property damage with this type of coverage. If you are a contractor who works with heavy tools and machinery, such as an electrician, plumber or remodeler, then you should be concerned with accidents that might occur from compressed gas, defective machinery or power tools. This coverage protects you from these unexpected accidents and events.
- Liquor or product liability. If you serve food or drinks at events, then product and liquor liability insurance is important. If a client is injured or becomes ill from eating or drinking items you provide, then you can fall back on this insurance for any claim that is lodged.
- Medical and disability coverage. This type of coverage provides medical coverage to you as an independent contractor, since most contractors do not have their own health insurance or disability insurance. If you become ill or hurt, this is coverage that you will appreciate owning.
Who Should Buy Independent 1099 Contractor's Insurance?
There are several types of independent contractors who need to consider contractor's insurance. Some of them are:
- Construction workers working independently
- Independent painters, electricians, carpenters and plumbers
- Dog or horse trainers
- Hair stylists and manicurists
- Writers and editors working as freelancers
- Web designers
- Graphic designers
What is Liability Insurance for Independent Contractors?
Independent contractor insurance New York for 1099 contractors is a type of insurance that protects the contractor from third-party damage losses and lawsuits that might otherwise leave their businesses financially devastated. The policy chosen should cover:
- General liability. A general liability policy provides coverage for both bodily injury and property damage. For instance, if you or a sub-contractor falls and gets hurt while roofing a home, this policy would cover the medical costs associated with the fall. If you cause damage to a client's lawn while repairing the roof, it will also provide coverage for repairs.
- Advertising personal injury coverage. If you cause damage to someone's reputation through false advertising, slander or libel, this coverage protects you from claims.
- Completed product/operations. If your failure to complete a project causes damage to the client, this coverage will pay for associated claims.
These are standard independent contractor insurance New York coverage types for contractors. Your policy should be tailored to your own unique needs and the risks that you take as an independent contractor and the liabilities that you face. It may be the case that a standard business owner's policy is sufficient for your needs. This policy, also referred to as a BOP, offers property damage and bodily injury coverage and may also offer business income protection or commercial vehicle insurance as well.
You should also consider worker's compensation insurance. This is required by some states if you have a certain number of employees, but working as an 1099 independent contractor, you may want to look into purchasing your own worker's compensation policy to cover medical bills and other expenses if you become ill or injured due to perils on the job.
Work with a knowledgeable insurance agent to determine which policy coverages are right for you. Your agent can assess your risks and help you find the best policy while comparing rates to find an affordable option that you can easily budget.
Request a free Independent Contractor Insurance New York quote in Albany, Amherst, Auburn, Babylon, Binghamton, Bronx, Brookhaven, Brooklyn, Buffalo, Clarkstown, Clay, Colonie, Elmira, Glen Cove, Greenburgh, Hamburg, Hempstead, Huntington, Islip, Ithaca, Jamaica, Jamestown, Long Beach, Manhattan, Middletown, Mount Vernon, New Rochelle, Newburgh, Niagara Falls, Orangetown, Oyster Bay, Perinton, Poughkeepsie, Queens, Rochester, Rome, Rye, Schenectady, Smithtown, Southampton, Staten Island, Syracuse, Tonawanda, Troy, Union, Utica, Watertown, West Seneca, White Plains, Yonkers and all other NY cities. Also see Independent Contractor Insurance Pennsylvania, Independent Contractor Insurance New Jersey, Independent Contractor Insurance Delaware, Independent Contractor Insurance Kentucky, Independent Contractor Insurance California, Independent Contractor Insurance Texas
Quotes from leading small business insurance carriers including: ACE, AmTrust, Builders & Tradesmen's, Chubb, CNA, Employers, Foremost, Guard, Hiscox, Liberty Mutual, Markel, Nationwide, Penn America, Philadelphia, Progressive, Scottsdale, The Hartford, Travelers, USLI, Western World, Zurich & others.