Printing Services Insurance FAQ Information
Printing Services Insurance FAQ. Printing services are changing because desktop publishing has become more popular, available and affordable and because online material is replacing printed.
Computerized printing operations are both expanding the marketplace as well as encouraging specialization and consolidation within the industry.
Property continues to be the major insurance loss exposure because business assets are concentrated in computers, printing machinery and equipment and paper stock.
We wanted to provide a deeper dive into small business insurance to help our readers get a better understand of the commercial insurance policies they want and need with the Printing Services Insurance FAQ.
Read the Printing Services Insurance FAQ to learn what type of commercial insurance coverages are right for your business - including liability, property, workers compensation and other specialty policies.
What Is A Printing Services Business?
According to The Free Dictionary - a printing services business is, "a company that does commercial printing.."
Printing Services include - but are not limited to - the following types of businesses:
- Graphic Arts
- Multigraphing Shops
You can reference the Insurance Definitions, Dictionary And Glossary to better understand the commercial insurance policy terms and language used in our Small Business Insurance FAQs.
What Kinds Of Insurance Do Printing Services Need?
- At the minimum, printing services need general liability insurance.
- If they have employees they will need workers compensation in most states.
- If they have vehicles registered to the business, or use vehicles for the business purposes, they will also need commercial auto.
- There are also other specialty coverages and endorsements that might be needed based on their operations.
Following are some suggested commercial policies and coverages applicable for printing services:
You can skip to the following types of printing services small business insurance policy coverage types using these links:
Printing Services Commercial Insurance Policies:
- What kinds of commercial package policies do printing services need?
- What kinds of commercial property insurance do printing services need?
- What kinds of inland marine insurance do printing services need?
- What kinds of crime insurance do printing services need?
- What kinds of surety bonds do printing services need?
- What kinds of commercial liability insurance do printing services need?
- What kinds of professional liability insurance do printing services need?
- What kinds of commercial auto insurance do printing services need?
- What kinds of workers compensation insurance do printing services need?
- What kinds of excess and umbrella insurance do printing services need?
- What kinds of specialty insurance do printing services need?
What Kinds Of Commercial Package Policies Do Printing Services Need?
Package policies are the most convenient way to combine a number of coverages into one policy. In some cases, smaller printers are eligible for coverage in some businessowners policy programs.
Types Of Printing Services Package Policies:
- Businessowners Policy (BOP)
- Commercial Package Policy (CPP)
What Kinds Of Commercial Property Insurance Do Printing Services Need?
Flammable inks and solvents are the major property hazard. The finished product and special needs paper are the primary loss exposures at most printing operations.
One of the output policies may be an excellent coverage choice for larger operations having multiple locations but the standard business property form is satisfactory for most businesses.
Business income and extra expense exposures at both owned and dependent property locations are also important and need to be covered properly.
Types Of Property Coverages:
- Business Personal Property
- Personal Property of Others
- Improvements and Betterments
What Kinds Of Inland Marine Insurance Do Printing Services Need?
Electronic data processing coverages are particularly important when considering printing-related businesses. In addition, the commercial articles floater could be used to cover audio, video and camera equipment. Patterns and dies coverage could be very important if any processes are outsourced.
Types Of Inland Marine Coverages:
- Accounts Receivable Coverage
- Commercial Articles Floaters
- Difference in Conditions (DIC) Coverage
- Electronic Data Processing Equipment Coverage
- Fine Arts Coverage
- Goods In Transit
- Patterns and Dies Coverage
- Processing Risk Coverage
- Transportation Coverage
- Valuable Papers and Records Coverage
What Kinds Of Crime Insurance Do Printing Services Need?
Employee theft of inventory and office equipment, such as computers and peripheral equipment, is the main crime exposure for most printing operations. Retail printing concerns must also consider the potential for loss from other sources, such as loss of money and securities due to robbery, burglary, theft and counterfeit currency.
Types Of Crime Coverages:
- Computer and Funds Transfer Fraud Coverage
- Employee Theft Coverage
- Forgery or Alteration Coverage
- Inside The Premises-Theft of Money and Securities Coverage
- Inside The Premises-Robbery or Safe Burglary of Other Property Coverage
- Money Orders and Counterfeit Money Coverage
- Outside The Premises Coverage
What Kinds Of Surety Bonds Do Printing Services Need?
Most printers have little or no need for surety bonds unless they have a contract to supply services to a governmental entity.
Types Of Surety Coverages:
- Contract-Performance of Service or Supply Bonds
- License and Permit Bonds
- Miscellaneous Surety Bonds
What Kinds Of Commercial Liability Insurance Do Printing Services Need?
In most cases, printing-related operations have very limited premises and products/completed operations exposures.
Types Of Liability Coverages:
- Commercial General Liability (CGL) Coverage
- Employee Benefits Liability Coverage
- Employment-Related Practices Coverage
- Product Recall or Product Withdrawal Expense Coverage
What Kinds Of Professional Liability Insurance Do Printing Services Need?
Printers errors and omissions coverage is not the same as media coverage but is still important for most printing operations. Coverage is not standardized and varies by insurance company and coverage form except for the ISO BOP Printers Errors and Omissions endorsement.
Types Of Errors And Omissions (E&O) Coverages:
- Printers Errors and Omissions Coverage
What Kinds Of Commercial Auto Insurance Do Printing Services Need?
The nature and extent of the automobile exposure can vary considerably from one operation to another. The manner in which orders are gathered and final product delivered is very important in determining the coverage needed.
Types Of Business Auto Coverages:
- Auto Medical Payments
- Business Auto Coverage
- Collision Coverage
- Comprehensive Coverage
- Hired & Non-owned Auto Coverage (HNOA)
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorists Coverage
What Kinds Of Workers Compensation Insurance Do Printing Services Need?
The workers compensation exposure for printing concerns is lower than in years past because machinery is now more automated and printing ink is less toxic. In spite of that, workers are still involved in the process and do become injured. Employers are obligated by law to provide coverage through a workers compensation policy for on-the-job injuries sustained by their employees.
Types Of Workers Comp Coverages:
- Stop-Gap or Employers Liability Coverage
- Workers Compensation and Employers Liability Coverage
What Kinds Of Excess And Umberlla Insurance Do Printing Services Need?
Excess or umbrella liability policies should also include coverage for underlying printers errors and omissions coverage.
Types Of Excess Liability Coverages:
- Excess Liability Coverage
- Retroactive Excess Liability Coverage
- Umbrella Coverage
What Kinds Of Specialty Insurance Do Printing Services Need?
Printing operations are not all the same. Their exposures will vary. Because of this, some of the following coverages may be more appropriate for some concerns than for others. Due to the toxic nature of some inks, particular attention may be needed for environmental impairment liability if the operation has been in business at the same location for a number of years and disposed of waste on its premises.
Types Of Specialty Coverages:
- Business Legal Expense Coverage
- Cyber Liability Coverage
- Data Security Breach Coverage
- Directors and Officers Liability Coverage
- Environmental Impairment Liability Coverage
- Export Credit Insurance Coverage
- Fiduciary Liability (Pension, Welfare and Employee Benefit Funds) Coverage
- Identity Theft Insurance Coverage
- International Insurance Coverage
- Media/Communications Liability Coverage
- Patent Infringement Liability Coverage
- Risk Retention Group Liability Coverage
- Solar Energy System Coverage
- Tax Liability Coverage
- Underground Storage Tank (UST) Liability Coverage
Printing Services Insurance FAQ - The Bottom Line
There are many commercial insurance policies available for Printing Services. To find out what types of coverage your business needs, speak to a professional insurance broker with experience in insuring service businesses.
Frequently Asked Questions By Industry
Learn about the insurance coverages and surety bonds available for specific industires with the Insurance FAQs below:
- Artisan Contractors
- Automotive Sales and Service
- Aviation Risks
- Boats and Yachts
- Construction Contractors
- Eating and Drinking Establishments
- Educational Institutions
- Farm and Ranch
- Financial Institutions
- Food Processing Plants
- General Liability
- Government, Institutions and Utilities
- Health Care Providers
- Lodging Places
- Logging, Mining and Quarries
- Printing Services
- Real Estate and Rental Property
- Recreation and Sports
- Retail Food and Beverage
- Retail Stores
- Services Businesses
- Trucking and Transit
- Warehouses and Storage
- Wholesalers and Distributors