Logging, Mining And Quarries Insurance FAQ Information
Logging, Mining And Quarries Insurance FAQ. Logging, mining and quarrying operations involve removing natural resources from the ground, providing some initial processing and then sending the material elsewhere for additional processing or to the final customer.
Operations are usually performed at remote locations and the work is inherently dangerous. Product liability exposures are usually low because the processing of the raw material is very limited.
These operations are becoming more automated, which leads to higher machinery and equipment values. Liability exposures are limited because customers do not usually visit the locations, but some operations have attractive nuisance hazards that must be identified and protected, as well as potentially significant environmental issues that may also need attention.
We wanted to provide a deeper dive into small business insurance to help our readers get a better understand of the commercial insurance policies they want and need with the Logging, Mining And Quarries Insurance FAQ.
Read the Logging, Mining And Quarries Insurance FAQ to learn what type of commercial insurance coverages are right for your company - including liability, property, workers compensation and other specialty policies.
What Is A Service Business?
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, "The Mining sector comprises establishments that extract naturally occurring mineral solids, such as coal and ores; liquid minerals, such as crude petroleum; and gases, such as natural gas. The term mining is used in the broad sense to include quarrying, well operations, beneficiating (e.g., crushing, screening, washing, and flotation), and other preparation customarily performed at the mine site, or as a part of mining activity.."
Logging, Mining And Quarries include - but are not limited to - the following types of operations:
- Logging Operations
- Sand and Gravel Digging
- Surface Mining Operations
- Underground Mining Operations
You can reference the Insurance Definitions, Dictionary And Glossary to better understand the commercial insurance policy terms and language used in our Small Business Insurance FAQs.
What Kinds Of Insurance Do Logging, Mining And Quarry Businesses Need?
- At the minimum, logging, mining and quarry businesses need general liability insurance.
- If they have employees they will need workers compensation in most states.
- If they have vehicles registered to the business, or use vehicles for the business purposes, they will also need commercial auto.
- There are also other specialty coverages and endorsements that might be needed based on their operations.
Following are some suggested commercial policies and coverages applicable for logging, mining and quarry businesses:
You can skip to the following types of logging, mining and quarry businesses small business insurance policy coverage types using these links:
Logging, Mining And Quarry Businesses Commercial Insurance Policies:
- What kinds of commercial package policies do logging, mining and quarry businesses need?
- What kinds of commercial property insurance do logging, mining and quarry businesses need?
- What kinds of inland marine insurance do logging, mining and quarry businesses need?
- What kinds of crime insurance do logging, mining and quarry businesses need?
- What kinds of surety bonds do logging, mining and quarry businesses need?
- What kinds of commercial liability insurance do logging, mining and quarry businesses need?
- What kinds of commercial auto insurance do logging, mining and quarry businesses need?
- What kinds of workers compensation insurance do logging, mining and quarry businesses need?
- What kinds of excess and umbrella insurance do logging, mining and quarry businesses need?
- What kinds of specialty insurance do logging, mining and quarry businesses need?
What Kinds Of Commercial Package Policies Do Logging, Mining And Quarry Businesses Need?
Package policies are the most convenient way to combine several different coverage parts together in a single policy. This approach can provide premium discounts for some of the coverages. Logging, mining and quarrying operations can be combined using a commercial package policy. These operations are not eligible for businessowners policies.
Types Of Logging, Mining And Quarries Package Policies:
- Commercial Package Policy (CPP)
What Kinds Of Commercial Property Insurance Do Logging, Mining And Quarry Businesses Need?
Logging, mining and quarrying operations have extensive machinery and equipment values. Some items are mobile and may be better covered by inland marine coverage forms. However, there are many location specific items to be covered under a commercial property coverage form.
A commercial output policy may be the best product to cover both types of property. A mandatory time element endorsement must be attached when business income is provided for mining operations. This form allows the insured to choose whether or not to include business income for damage to underground mining machinery and equipment.
Types Of Property Coverages:
- Business Personal Property
- Personal Property of Others
- Improvements and Betterments
What Kinds Of Inland Marine Insurance Do Logging, Mining And Quarry Businesses Need?
Logging, mining and quarrying operations have machinery and equipment items that should be listed and covered on a contractors' equipment coverage form. These values are usually high and the machinery and equipment is usually situated at remote locations.
Types Of Inland Marine Coverages:
- Accounts Receivable Coverage
- Contractors' Equipment Coverage
- Difference in Conditions (DIC) Coverage
- Electronic Data Processing Equipment Coverage
- Scheduled Property Coverage
- Transportation Coverage
- Valuable Papers and Records Coverage
What Kinds Of Crime Insurance Do Logging, Mining And Quarry Businesses Need?
Crime exposures vary, depending on the size and complexity of the operations conducted. The basic coverage needed by all operations is employee theft and forgery and alteration coverage. However, as operations increase in size and complexity, other coverages may be needed.
Types Of Crime Coverages:
- Computer and Funds Transfer Fraud Coverage
- Employee Theft Coverage
- Forgery or Alteration Coverage
- Inside The Premises-Theft of Money and Securities Coverage
- Inside The Premises-Robbery or Safe Burglary of Other Property Coverage
- Money Orders and Counterfeit Money Coverage
- Outside The Premises Coverage
What Kinds Of Surety Bonds Do Logging, Mining And Quarry Businesses Need?
The type of logging, mining or quarrying operation determines the types of surety bonds needed. At a minimum, license and permit bonds are needed but others could be needed, depending on the operations, locations and contracts involved.
Types Of Surety Coverages:
- Contract-Performance of Service or Supply Bonds
- Fiduciary Bonds
- License and Permit Bonds
- Miscellaneous Surety Bonds
What Kinds Of Commercial Liability Insurance Do Logging, Mining And Quarry Businesses Need?
The premises general liability exposure is limited if access to the premises is adequately controlled and limited. While access to more remote areas may be difficult, quarries located near residential areas represent an attractive nuisance for local swimmers and thrill seekers.
Types Of Liability Coverages:
- Commercial General Liability (CGL) Coverage
- Employee Benefits Liability Coverage
- Employment-Related Practices Coverage
- Owners and Contractors Protective (OCP) Liability Coverage
- Railroad Protective Liability Coverage
- Special Events Liability Coverage
What Kinds Of Commercial Auto Insurance Do Logging, Mining And Quarry Businesses Need?
The automobile exposure for these operations usually involves hauling logs, coal, gravel or other natural resources. The vehicles and trucks used are usually heavy and must frequently navigate and maneuver on narrow and winding roads.
Types Of Business Auto Coverages:
- Auto Medical Payments
- Business Auto Coverage
- Collision Coverage
- Comprehensive Coverage
- Hired & Non-owned Auto Coverage (HNOA)
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorists Coverage
What Kinds Of Workers Compensation Insurance Do Logging, Mining And Quarry Businesses Need?
On-the-job injuries sustained by their employees must be insured by employers through a workers compensation policy or a state sanctioned self-insurance arrangement. The workers compensation exposure for these operations is extreme due to the dangerous conditions, operations performed and limited access to medical facilities.
All coal mine operations are subject to the Federal Coal Mine Health and Safety Act. Quarry workers may be subject to the Longshore and Harbor Workers' Compensation Act.
Types Of Workers Comp Coverages:
- Excess Workers Compensation Self-Insurance Bonds
- Federal Coal Mine Health and Safety Act Coverage
- Longshore and Harbor Workers' Compensation Act Coverage
- Stop-Gap or Employers Liability Coverage
- Workers Compensation and Employers Liability Coverage
What Kinds Of Excess And Umberlla Insurance Do Logging, Mining And Quarry Businesses Need?
The most significant excess or umbrella liability exposures for these types of operations are from automobile liability and employers liability coverages.
If the professional cannot be combined with other coverages, a separate excess liability policy over the professional liability policy, including all amendments and exclusions, should be purchased to provide additional limits on that exposure.
Types Of Excess Liability Coverages:
- Excess Liability Coverage
- Umbrella Coverage
What Kinds Of Specialty Insurance Do Logging, Mining And Quarry Businesses Need?
Additional exposures for logging, mining and quarrying operations must be revealed and evaluated using some type of coverage analysis technique. The analysis may indicate that one or more of the following coverages should be recommended.
Types Of Specialty Coverages:
- Business Legal Expense Coverage
- Cyber Liability Coverage
- Directors and Officers Liability Coverage
- Environmental Impairment Liability Coverage
- Fiduciary Liability (Pension, Welfare and Employee Benefit Funds) Coverage
- Identity Theft Insurance Coverage
- International Insurance Coverage
- Risk Retention Group Liability Coverage
- Tax Liability Coverage
- Tender Offer Defense Expenses Coverage
Logging, Mining And Quarries Insurance FAQ - The Bottom Line
There are many commercial insurance policies available for Logging, Mining And Quarries. To find out what types of coverage your business needs, speak to a professional insurance broker with experience in insuring these types of businesses.
Frequently Asked Questions By Industry
Learn about the insurance coverages and surety bonds available for specific industires with the Insurance FAQs below:
- Artisan Contractors
- Automotive Sales and Service
- Aviation Risks
- Boats and Yachts
- Construction Contractors
- Eating and Drinking Establishments
- Educational Institutions
- Farm and Ranch
- Financial Institutions
- Food Processing Plants
- General Liability
- Government, Institutions and Utilities
- Health Care Providers
- Lodging Places
- Logging, Mining and Quarries
- Printing Services
- Real Estate and Rental Property
- Recreation and Sports
- Retail Food and Beverage
- Retail Stores
- Services Businesses
- Trucking and Transit
- Warehouses and Storage
- Wholesalers and Distributors